Browse All |  Ask A Question |  By Type |  By Department |  By Category |  By Topic
Results 1-50 of 56 Next >>
Why are my taxes so high?
Your tax bill results from the interaction of your property's value and the local tax rate.
Why is it that my neighbor's taxes appear to be lower than the taxes on my property?
Your neighbor may be receiving deductions that you may not be eligible for or have not had applied to your home due to various reasons.
I removed a structure from my property, how do I get it off the tax roll?
You must file a Form 135 – Affidavit of Destroyed or Removed Property in the County Assessor’s Office.
What sales information was used to develop trending factor?
The trending factor is developed through an annual process called the ratio study, and includes all of the sales information collected to determine the trending factor.
If property values are decreasing then why are my assessed values rising?
Assessed values are established as of January 1 of the tax year, so for taxes payable in 2018 the valuation date is January 1, 2017.
What is reassessment?
In Indiana, reassessment is the periodic re-inspection of real property to check for errors, pick up new construction and improvements, and to clean up the county's data.
What is trending?
Trending is the annual process of valuing real property.
Why must I file?
An exemption is a privilege which may be waived if an application for exemption is not timely filed.
When must I file?
The exemption application must be filed before April 1 of the assessment year in which the owner/applicant wishes to have the exemption granted.
When are Applications No Longer Required?
An application for exemption is no longer required every two years if the exempt property is tangible property owned, occupied, and used by a person for educational, literary, scientific, religious, or charitable purposes as described in IC 6-1.1-10.
What happens if there is a change in property ownership or use?
An exemption on a property is still valid after a change in ownership if the property continues to meet the requirements for an exemption under IC 6-1.1-10 or IC 6-1.1-10-21.
Am I eligible for Homestead Exemptions or any deductions?
There are various mortgage deductions that may be applied for if the individual meets certain requirements.
What are my property taxes?
We can let an individual know how much their property taxes are by phone inquiries or stopping in our office.
Why were my exemptions dropped?
Deductions can be dropped for various reasons depending on individual circumstances.
How can I apply for veterans credits?
Veterans credits can be applied for through our office depending on individual circumstances.
How do I find out who my public defender is?
If the courts have determined you qualify for a Public Defender, the court will notify our office and we will typically assign you a Public Defender within forty-eight (48) hours of receiving the notice from the court.
Does the Public Defender handle matters other than Criminal Cases?
The Public Defender’s Office may only represent you in the case they are appointed to you in.
How do I retain the services of a Public Defender?
If a person is determined financially unable to retain a private attorney, the courts will appoint you a Public Defender as your attorney.
If I am arrested, should I talk to the police?
If you are arrested, you should request to speak to a lawyer and you should obtain advice from a lawyer before answering police questions.
Important Information about Court Appearances:
You must appear in court for all your court hearings unless told otherwise by the judge or your lawyer.
Working with your Attorney:
It takes time, sometimes several months, for a case to move through the courts.
Does the Jail record my phone calls?
What types of payment does the Recorder’s office accept?
The Recorder’s office accepts cash and check at this time.
What is the process for recording a Deed?
A deed must be presented and approved by the Assessor and the Auditor before it can be recorded in our office.
Does the Recorder’s office provide blank documents?
The Recorder’s office provides only the Certificate of Assumed Business Name form.
How do I add/remove someone from a deed?
A new Deed of Title has to be prepared to add or remove a name.
My credit report shows an Indiana Department of Revenue tax lien on my record. How can I get a copy?
These records are filed with the Scott County Clerk’s office.
Does the Recorder’s office have information regarding subdivision restrictive covenants?
Restrictive covenants are filed with the Recorder’s office.
If there is a problem with my document, would it be recorded anyway?
The Recorder’s office cannot advise you on the legality of any document.
What is the Social Security Affirmation Statement?
The following statement should be included on all documents except those that require a social security number by law.
What is the role of the Recorder’s office in starting a business?
You are required under Indiana Code 23-15-1-1 to file a fictitious business name statement for a variety of reasons.
Why won’t the Recorder’s office perform lien or other searches?
For liability reasons, the Recorder’s office does not conduct real estate searches.
Where can I obtain a Marriage Certificate?
Marriage records can be located in the Scott County Clerk’s office.
Where can I get a title for a Mobile Home?
Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
I have a zoning issue or question. Who should I contact?
The Scott County Planning Commission can assist you with your permit. You can contact their office at (812) 752-8445.
Where do I obtain a building permit?
The Scott County Planning Commission can assist you with your permit. You can contact their office at (812) 752-8445.
Where do I pay my property taxes?
The Scott County Treasurer’s office, which is located in the courthouse, at 1 E. McClain Avenue, Scottsburg, IN 47170.
Where do I apply for my tax exemptions or find out which exceptions I may qualify for?
The Scott County Auditor’s office, which is located in the courthouse, at 1 E. McClain Avenue, Scottsburg, IN 47170.
Why are my property taxes higher than my neighbor's?
If this is the home you live in, you may not have filed for a homestead exemption or your assessed value may be higher than your neighbor's home.
How and when can we file exemptions on property taxes?
All exemptions are filed in the auditor's office. Please contact the auditor's office at (812) 752-8408 for types of exemptions and requirements.
How and where can I pay my property taxes?
You can pay them at the treasurer's office at the courthouse.
What types of payments are accepted for property taxes?
Cash, check, money order, cashier's check payments are accepted in the treasurer's office.
Why did we not receive our copy of the paid tax statement?
Unless you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope along with your payment, we do not mail the receipt back to you unless there is an additional amount still due.
I mailed my payment on the due date, why was I charged a penalty for payment not arriving to the treasurer's office on time?
Please remember, the payment envelope has to have a federally cancelled postmark on or before the due date.
When are my property taxes due?
Taxes are due every May and November each year.
Can you suggest an attorney for me to hire?
The Court will not recommend particular attorneys, but suggests you check local phone books or online.
Where can I find legal forms I can use to file without the assistance of an attorney?
Some forms are provided by the Indiana Supreme Court on a self help website. The Court cannot tell you what forms to file.
Can you give me legal advice or tell me what to file?
The court staff and Judge can only answer general questions about court procedures but cannot provide legal advice.
Can I talk to the Judge?
Court staff cannot allow you to talk to the Judge outside of a scheduled court hearing that all parties are notified of.
Results 1-50 of 56 Next >>